Microeconomics Study Set 46

Business

Quiz 14 :

Investment, Time, and Insurance

Quiz 14 :

Investment, Time, and Insurance

Question Type
search
arrow
Suppose that a bond with a $1,000 face value matures in one year and pays a 10% coupon rate. It is selling for $1,025. What interest rate would make a person indifferent between the selling price of $1,025 and the bond payment (face value and coupon) one year from now?
Free
Multiple Choice
Answer:

Answer:

B

Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
A change in household tastes and preferences reduces the rate of saving. The market interest rate _____, and the quantity of capital _____.
Free
Multiple Choice
Answer:

Answer:

B

Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
Tom is considering an investment that gives a $400 payout in one year and a $600 payout in two years. If interest rates are 6%, the maximum price that Tom should pay for this investment is $____.
Free
Multiple Choice
Answer:

Answer:

B

Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
(Table: Car Costs) The table shows the initial cost outlays of two versions of the Ford Escape and their estimated annual fuel costs. Stu is not sure whether he wants the hybrid or standard model. Although more expensive, the hybrid model has better gas mileage and would save $890 of gas per year. Assume both cars are worthless after six years. At a 7% interest rate, what should Stu do? img
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
A corporate bond has a $10,000 face value and offers a 7% coupon rate. The bond matures at the end of three years. If the interest rate is 5%, the present discounted value of the bond is $____.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
A corporate bond has a $10,000 face value and offers a 7% coupon rate. The bond matures at the end of three years. If the interest rate is 7%, the present discounted value of the bond is $____.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
Liqin fixes up old cars and sells them to supplement his retirement income. Liqin came across a beat-up 1955 Corvette that she is considering rebuilding and selling. She estimates a 0.2 probability that she will gain 15% on the deal, a 0.2 probability that she will gain 10%, and a 0.6 probability that she will gain 5%. Liqin's expected return for fixing up and selling the Corvette is ____%.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
Daiyu's parents have decided to save for her college education. They estimate they will need $100,000 18 years from now to pay for it. If the interest rate remains fixed at 5% over this period, how much money will Daiyu's parents have to put into savings today to meet their goal (assuming no more money is saved over the years)?
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
Assume a future payment of $10,000. img If r = 0.2 and T = 5, then the present value of $10,000 is $____.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
(Figure: Utility and Income) Suppose that Sara has an income of $80,000 but if her business burns down, her income drops to $20,000. img The probability that Sara's business will burn down is ____%.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
(Table: Investments I) The table depicts the costs and benefits of an investment. Which of the following statements is (are) TRUE? img I. If the interest rate is 8%, the investment is worthwhile. II) If the interest rate is 6%, the investment's net present value is $79.26. III) If the interest rate is 4%, the investment is worthwhile.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
(Figure: Total Utility I) The risk premium is: img
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
If principal is invested at a constant interest rate, the value of the account will increase:
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
(Table: Account Balance) img Using an interest rate of 10%, the value of the savings account balance in year 10 is $____.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
(Table: Utility Function II) Suppose the person's utility function is given by U = I0.5, where I is income. img What guaranteed income level would offer the same expected utility level as that from the uncertain income (i.e., find the certainty equivalent)?
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
The market for capital is in equilibrium at an interest rate of 3% and a quantity of $10 million. Suppose that businesses become more optimistic about future demand and start to invest heavily in capital. This would cause the equilibrium interest rate to ____ and the equilibrium quantity of capital to ____.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
(Table: Payback Period) img If management uses the net present value method and requires a two-year period to reach the payback period, then management will ____ the investment because the total benefits over the first two years are ____.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
The market for capital is in equilibrium at an interest rate of 3% and a quantity of $10 million. Suppose that households become more frugal and decide to spend less and save more. This would cause the equilibrium interest rate to ____ and the equilibrium quantity of capital to ____.
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
A firm is considering an investment project that today would cost $20,000. At the end of one year, there is a 70% probability that the investment will pay out $28,000 and a 30% probability that it will pay out $16,000. Using a 10% interest rate, what is the expected net present value of this investment?
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
arrow
(Table: Investments III) What is the payback period of the investment? img
Multiple Choice
Answer:
Tags
Choose question tag
close menu
Showing 1 - 20 of 117