Coding standards are a set of guidelines that developers follow when they write a code. Coding standards defines the programming style. It is not concerned whether a code is right or wrong, it only tells the rules and guidelines for the formatting of source code. The common coding standards are:-
• Naming convention
• File naming
• Formatting and Indentation
• Comments and documentation
• Classes, functions and Interface
• Pointer usage
The difference between the coding standards for software of intensive care unit and software of accounts is as follows:
• The coding standards for the intensive care unit software should capture, manage and report the data instantly generated in ICU.
• It should give complete electronic medical records and decision support with fewer errors.
• The storage and retrieval of information should be done in short term.
So, the coding standards for an intensive care unit should be easy to use as the users of the product are medical experts. Each unit can be coded in its own required style as per the medical use.
• The coding standards for accounting software should include asset tracking, auditing features, general ledger, payment processing, and cash flow and credit management.
• It should integrate bank and credit card accounts.
• The development team should define each person's role in the project.
• It is also important to maintain internal controls such as monthly reviews of activities, capitalized and expenses amounts.
The coding standards for an accounting software should be consistent and style of all the code should be same else the accounts can be badly interpreted and reflected.
Thus, there is a vast difference between the coding standards of intensive care unit software and accounting software because the working and goal of both the software is completely different.
Linear code sequence executes code from start of the program or from point of control flow and terminates when the program ends or control flow ends. In the Naur text processing code fragment the linear code sequence will start from for loop and will end with termination of loop. The code fragment for Naur Text processing problem is shown below
The test cases with linear code sequence for Naur text processing problem is as follows;
The issue of which programming language to use often can be decided by using cost benefit analysis in which management compute the cost and benefits of an implementation. This computation must be repeated for every language under consideration and the language with largest gain is selected. Also risk analysis can be done to decide which programming language to implement.
The list of various languages available with their advantages and disadvantages are:-
• Java-This language is robust, scalable for web application, platform independent, handles all the hardware and is free on internet but it is not suited for low level programming. Sometimes it does not perform well on older computers and is complex for small programs.
• C++-It is best suited for general purpose and low level programming. It is extremely fast, works well for GUI programming. It is good language to write operating system, drives and platform dependent applications but it is complex and difficult to debug when used for web application. Although it is platform independent but it is mostly used for platform specific applications only.
• C#- It can be used for web applications on Microsoft computers. It has marketable skill set and works well with Microsoft product line but it locks you into the Microsoft Platform.
• VB-It is extremely easy to use, even for people who are not computer programmers. It is excellent for writing little programs and piece of programs but it is not a true object oriented. Sometimes it becomes complex and difficult to manage on very large programs.
The appropriate language that can be chosen to determine whether a bank statement is correct can be Object Oriented Language. The most widely used object oriented programming language is C++. The C++ programming language is used specially for those organisation in which product is organised around objects and classes instead of functions. Bank statement correction determination is most suitable to use C++ because:-
• Bank statement contains list of all the transactions processed by bank account which includes deposits, withdrawal, bank fees, and balance information along with the account holder information.
• Features of C++ such as functions, class, and objects can be used for above item of bank statement.
• Inheritance will very helpful in the resuse of the code.
• Exception handling feature of C++ can help to find the error in case there will is wrong entry in the statement.
• If-else statement and switch cases will be suitable for determining whether the bank statement is correct by matching the data according to the condition.
• Private and public data can be encapsulated using C++.
Thus, after studying the advantages and disadvantages of various programming languages, the most suited programming language to determine whether a bank statement is correct or not will be C++.