The conditions under which promoting of competition between groups in an organization could be effective when the teams are not performing enthusiastically and are showing lethargic attitude. In this situation, the organization could announce internal competition between the teams to give their best performance over a particular task and reward the winning team and its members generously. This will enhance the enthusiasm of employees to become an active member of their team.
Another situation wherein competition is effective is when the organization has to select best team and members to become a part of a crucial project. And by having an internal competition between teams, the organization is likely to select best employees in achieving a particular task.
On the other hand, intergroup competition could be disruptive when the teams are performing smoothly and are achieving good success at their defined responsibilities, and in between the organization announces the internal competition between the teams. This will make the teams to divert their attention from their responsibilities and concentrate over the competition and winning at it disrupting their assigned tasks.
Inter-group conflict stands for the situation of strong and serious disagreements or arguments in which various groups are involved and develops loggerheads against each other making the situation worse and complex.
The following is the comparison of two modes of handling an inter-group conflict-
• Accommodating; in this the conflict taking place in the organization is accommodated and adjusted, and there are high chances that this accommodation technique of a conflict could work in opposition with the organization's goals, objectives, and desired results.
• Competing ; in this the conflict taking place in the organization is not tolerated and the organization competes with it strongly in diminishing its existence and occurrence in the organization. This technique helps the organization to send a message among employees that any kind of conflict has to be resolved quickly as organization will not accommodate or adjust with it in any way.
This way in accommodation of conflict, an organization might lose its grip of effectively managing the employees and their activities; but using competing technique, an organization takes a strong stand to prevent conflicts to take place and get rid of it as early as possible.
Negotiation stands for the process of ending a conflict using discussion technique wherein each party puts forward their viewpoints and tries to deal with others in a compromising manner listening to the viewpoints of others and trying to accommodate with them.
The best ways to negotiate effectively are as follows -
• Avoid being angry or getting provoked is the best way to negotiate effectively. This is because the party/s with which an individual is negotiating is in disagreements with each other and thereby the negotiating parties should negotiate by being normal, and maintaining their calm and composure for the better negotiation result.
• Use of formal, professional and suitable words could be made to work in a negotiation process which will make the other party also to be clear and definite with their thoughts and demands.
• Making good use of time and providing sufficient time to others to think could be a good resort in a negotiation process because good amount of time makes an individual to think properly and behave appropriately.